Recognition of level or specific recognition

NARIC has 2 different procedures:


Recognition of level

Specific recognition

What is the difference?
  • NARIC decides on the level of your foreign certificate in Flanders.
  •  NARIC decides on the specific Flemish qualification to which your foreign certificate is equivalent.
Examples of decisions
  • Diploma of secondary education - general secondary education
  • Higher vocational education (hbo5) graduate
  • Bachelor
  • Master
  • Doctor
  • Certificate of healthcare assistant
  • Bachelor of business administration with specialisation in accountancy-expertise in taxation
  • Bachelor of social work
  • Master of Arts in architecture
You choose this procedure if:
  • knowledge of the level of education suffices to apply for a job (applicable in most cases).
  • you do not (no longer) have all the obligatory supporting documents needed for a specific recognition: for example, individuals with the status of asylum seeker, recognised refugee or subsidiary protected.
  • there are no corresponding study programmes in Flanders (for example, mining engineer). Check here whether your study programme exists in Flanders.
  • recognition of equivalence to a specific certificate is required for a particular job (in exceptional cases).
  • if you want to work in a regulated profession (e.g. physician, nurse, architect, accountant, etc.) on the basis of a qualification earned outside the EEA.
  • you want to use a protected title: e.g. industrial engineer, commercial engineer,  master, civil engineer, civil engineer-architect, bioscience engineer, physician, dentist, veterinary surgeon, pharmacist, architect, interior architect, midwife, social worker etc.
How much does it cost?

90 EUR or exempted

180 EUR or exempted
How long does it take? 60 calendar days 120 calendar days